Secrets of a Tour Guide
Franky Casillo | Hellen Bader School of Social Welfare
“It’s not hard to pinpoint why UWM tour guides love what they do. We walk students and their families around our campus and help them look towards their future. Of course we love UWM and everything about it, but we get the added benefit of falling in love with our home over and over again every time we go on a tour. Whenever we answer a question and see someone’s eyes light up or show off our favorite part of campus, we’re just as excited as our tour guests! UWM, and college, are all about finding yourself in it, so go out, explore it and have fun!”
Now that you know why our tour guides love what they do, here’s what they hope you take away from your time spent exploring campus with them:
- Learn about our close-knit community on a compact campus.
- Our student body is the most diverse in the UW System, and also has the largest number of student veterans.
- Campus Pride has acknowledged us as one of the top 25 LGBTQ-friendly universities in the nation.
- Suite-style residence halls (no need to share a bathroom with 20+ others) and multiple Living Learning Communities.
- Explore the city by using our Milwaukee County Transit System with your tuition-included bus pass.
- Check out: Downtown Milwaukee, Bayshore Town Center, Shorewood restaurants and Riverwest music gigs.
- Don’t forget the walking and bicycling trails leading you around campus, along the lakefront and beyond!
- Realize the benefits of an urban university in a residential setting, that’s not too far away from city life.
- Our students receive continued support with peer mentors, advisors, student resources and community connections!